Ethics Articles & Resources
May 10, 2021: The Hastings CenterRead Article
March 18, 2021: INCLUDED The Disability Equity PodcastListen to this episode
March 24, 2021: The Hastings CenterRead Article
December 18, 2020: The New York TimesRead
December 26, 2020: Boston GlobeRead
October 23, 2020: The Hastings Center ReportRead
October 17, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
August 21, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
July 29, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
July 7, 2020: ZORARead
July 10, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
July 9, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
June 30, 2020: The New York TimesRead
June 29, 2020: The Hastings Center ReportRead
June 18, 2020: TIMERead
“You Can See Your Loved One Now.” Can Visitor Restrictions During Covid Unduly Influence End-of-Life Decisions?
June 18, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
May 10, 2020: The New York TimesRead
May 7, 2020: Bioethics.netRead
April 23, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
April 21, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
April 20, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
April 15, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
Fair Coronavirus Triage Guidelines – Not Business as Usual – Will Save More Patients with Disabilities
April 7, 2020: The Denver PostRead
NY State Task Force on Life and the Law Ventilator Allocation Guidelines: How Our Views on Disability Evolved
April 7, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
April 9, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
April 5, 2020: Public DiscourseRead
April 4, 2020: The New York TimesRead
March 28, 2020: The New York TimesRead
April 1, 2020: CNNRead
April 1, 2020: The Hastings CenterRead
March 28, 2020: The Washington PostRead
March 20, 2020: The New York TimesRead
July 8, 2019: The New York TimesRead
May 13, 2019: Pew TrustsRead
May 13, 2019: The New York TimesRead
May 15, 2019: The New York TimesRead
November 7, 2018: Seven DaysRead Article
October 5, 2018: CBS NewsRead
January 16, 2017: The New York TimesRead
March 22, 2016: New York TimesRead
December 1, 2015: Kaiser Health NewsRead
August 28, 2012: Fierce Health ITRead
Big Med: Restaurant chains have managed to combine quality control, cost control, and innovation. Can health care?
August 13, 2012: The New YorkerRead
August 6, 2012: The New York TimesRead
December 12, 2011: Washington PostRead
December 2, 2011: Los Angeles TimesRead
March 31, 2011: NY TimesRead
Selected Rural Health Care Ethics Bibliography
General Health Care Ethics
- American College of Physicians. Ethics manual: 4th ed. Annals of Internal Medicine 1998;128 (7): 576-594.
- Lo, B. 2008. Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Singer PA, Viens AM, eds. The Cambridge Textbook of Bioethics. New York, NY:
Cambridge University Press; 2008.
- Aulisio, M., R. Arnold, and S. Youngner. Health care ethics consultation: nature, goals, and competencies.” Annals of Internal Medicine 2000;133 (1): 59-69.
- Post, L., Blustein, J. and N. Dubler. Handbook for Health Care Ethics Committees. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press 2006.
Rural Health Care Ethics
- Bushy A. When you client lives in a rural area. Part I: rural health care delivery issues. Issues Ment Health Nurs 1994;15:253-66.
- Cook AF, Hoas H, Joyner JC. No secrets on main street. Am J Nurs 2001;101:67,69-71.
- Cook AF, Hoas H, Guttmannova K. Bioethics activities in rural hospitals. Camb Q
Healthc Ethics 2000;9(2):230-238.
- Cook A, Hoas H. Are healthcare ethics committees necessary in rural hospitals? HEC
Forum. Jun 1999;11(2):134-139.
- Cook AF, Hoas H. Where the rubber hits the road: implications for organizational and
clinical ethics in rural health care settings. HEC Forum 2000;12(4):331-340.
- Cook AF,Hoas H. Voices from the margins: a context for developing bioethics-related
resources in rural areas. Am J Bioeth 2001;1(4), W12.
- Cook A F, Hoas H. Re-framing the question: what do we really want to know about rural
healthcare ethics? Am J Bioeth 2006;6(2):51-53.
- Cook AF, Hoas H. Ethics and rural healthcare: what really happens? What might help?
Am J Bioeth. Apr 2008;8(4):52-56.
- Klugman CM, Dalinis PM, eds. Ethical Issues in Rural Health Care. Baltimore, MD:
Johns Hopkins University Press; 2008.
- Nelson WA. Addressing rural ethics issues. The characteristics of rural health care settings pose unique ethical challenges. Healthc Exec 2004;19:36-7.
- Nelson WA. Ethics programs in small rural hospitals. Ethics committees are essential all healthcare facilities, not just large ones. Healthc Exec. 2007;22(6):30, 32-33.
- Nelson W, Pomerantz A, Howard K, Bushy A. A proposed rural healthcare ethics agenda. J Med Ethics. 2007;33(3):136-139.
- Nelson WA, Schmidek JM. Rural healthcare ethics. In: Singer PA, Viens AM, (eds). The Cambridge textbook of bioethics. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press; 2008:289-298.
- Nelson WA. Rural health care ethics: an overview. In Klugman C, (ed). Rural Ethics Reader. Baltimore: The Hopkins Press. 2008.
- Nelson WA, (ed). Handbook for Rural Health Care Ethics: A Practical Guide for
Professionals. Hanover, NH: Dartmouth College; 2009 (http://dms.dartmouth.edu/cfm/resources/ethics/).
- Nelson WA, Greene MA, West, A. Rural health care ethics: no longer the forgotten
quarter. Camb Q Healthc Ethics 2010;19(4):510-517.
- Purtilo RB, Sorrell J. The ethical dilemmas of a rural phycisian. Hastings Cent Rep
- Purtilo RB. Rural health care: the forgotten quarter of medical ethics. Second Opin
- Rurtilo RB. The ethical life of rural health care professionals In: Nelson WA, ed.
Handbook for Rural Health Care Ethics: A Practical Guide For Professionals. Lebanon,
NH: University Press of New England; 43-59.
- Roberts LW, Battaglia J, Epstein RS. Frontier ethics: mental health care needs and ethical dilemmas in rural communities. Psychiatr Serv 1999;50:497-503.
- Roberts LW, Battaglia J, Smithpeter M, et al. An office on main street: health care dilemmas in small communities. Hastings Cent Rep 1999;29:28-37.