Health Care Ethics
- Overview of the Basics
- Rural Health Care Ethics
- Right to Refuse Treatment
- Withholding and Withdrawing Treatment
- Decision-Making Capacity
- Is Health Care a Right?
- Pediatric Decision-Making
- Physician Aid in Dying (PAD)
- Health Care Reform in Vermont
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Resources and Ethics Links
The Vermont Ethics Network is committed to objectivity, increased understanding and respect for all points of view concerning ethical issues and choices in healthcare. Consistent with its mission, the Vermont Ethics Network does not endorse particular viewpoints or positions that may be advocated by the particular sources and organizations listed in the links below.
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- The American Journal of Bioethics
- American Medical Association Ethics Group
- American Society for Bioethics & Humanities
- American Society of Law, Medicine, and Ethics
- Center for Bioethics, University of Minnesota
- Center for Bioethics, University of Pennsylvania
- Center for Practical Bioethics
[Including an overview of bioethics for beginners and many interesting articles]
- Critical Access Hospital Ethics Committee Resource Guide
- Dartmouth Medical School, Community and Family Medicine
- Handbook for Rural Health Care Ethics: A Practical Guide for Professionals
- Hastings Center for Bioethics
- National Center for Ethics in Health Care
- National Institutes of Health: Bioethics Resources on the Web
[Links to a large number of bioethics resources and organizations]
- The President's Council on Bioethics
- Search engine for ethics articles
Selected Rural Health Care Ethics Bibliography
General Health Care Ethics
- American College of Physicians. Ethics manual: 4th ed. Annals of Internal Medicine 1998;128 (7): 576-594.
- Lo, B. 2008. Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Singer PA, Viens AM, eds. The Cambridge Textbook of Bioethics. New York, NY:
Cambridge University Press; 2008.
- Aulisio, M., R. Arnold, and S. Youngner. Health care ethics consultation: nature, goals, and competencies.” Annals of Internal Medicine 2000;133 (1): 59-69.
- Post, L., Blustein, J. and N. Dubler. Handbook for Health Care Ethics Committees. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press 2006.
Rural Health Care Ethics
- Bushy A. When you client lives in a rural area. Part I: rural health care delivery issues. Issues Ment Health Nurs 1994;15:253-66.
- Cook AF, Hoas H, Joyner JC. No secrets on main street. Am J Nurs 2001;101:67,69-71.
- Cook AF, Hoas H, Guttmannova K. Bioethics activities in rural hospitals. Camb Q
Healthc Ethics 2000;9(2):230-238.
- Cook A, Hoas H. Are healthcare ethics committees necessary in rural hospitals? HEC
Forum. Jun 1999;11(2):134-139.
- Cook AF, Hoas H. Where the rubber hits the road: implications for organizational and
clinical ethics in rural health care settings. HEC Forum 2000;12(4):331-340.
- Cook AF,Hoas H. Voices from the margins: a context for developing bioethics-related
resources in rural areas. Am J Bioeth 2001;1(4), W12.
- Cook A F, Hoas H. Re-framing the question: what do we really want to know about rural
healthcare ethics? Am J Bioeth 2006;6(2):51-53.
- Cook AF, Hoas H. Ethics and rural healthcare: what really happens? What might help?
Am J Bioeth. Apr 2008;8(4):52-56.
- Klugman CM, Dalinis PM, eds. Ethical Issues in Rural Health Care. Baltimore, MD:
Johns Hopkins University Press; 2008.
- Nelson WA. Addressing rural ethics issues. The characteristics of rural health care settings pose unique ethical challenges. Healthc Exec 2004;19:36-7.
- Nelson WA. Ethics programs in small rural hospitals. Ethics committees are essential all healthcare facilities, not just large ones. Healthc Exec. 2007;22(6):30, 32-33.
- Nelson W, Pomerantz A, Howard K, Bushy A. A proposed rural healthcare ethics agenda. J Med Ethics. 2007;33(3):136-139.
- Nelson WA, Schmidek JM. Rural healthcare ethics. In: Singer PA, Viens AM, (eds). The Cambridge textbook of bioethics. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press; 2008:289-298.
- Nelson WA. Rural health care ethics: an overview. In Klugman C, (ed). Rural Ethics Reader. Baltimore: The Hopkins Press. 2008.
- Nelson WA, (ed). Handbook for Rural Health Care Ethics: A Practical Guide for
Professionals. Hanover, NH: Dartmouth College; 2009.
- Nelson WA, Greene MA, West, A. Rural health care ethics: no longer the forgotten
quarter. Camb Q Healthc Ethics 2010;19(4):510-517.
- Purtilo RB, Sorrell J. The ethical dilemmas of a rural phycisian. Hastings Cent Rep
- Purtilo RB. Rural health care: the forgotten quarter of medical ethics. Second Opin
- Rurtilo RB. The ethical life of rural health care professionals In: Nelson WA, ed.
Handbook for Rural Health Care Ethics: A Practical Guide For Professionals. Lebanon,
NH: University Press of New England; 43-59.
- Roberts LW, Battaglia J, Epstein RS. Frontier ethics: mental health care needs and ethical dilemmas in rural communities. Psychiatr Serv 1999;50:497-503.
- Roberts LW, Battaglia J, Smithpeter M, et al. An office on main street: health care dilemmas in small communities. Hastings Cent Rep 1999;29:28-37.
William Nelson, Rural Ethics Program, Dartmouth Medical School