The Vermont Ethics Network website contains information and resources on advance directives, health care decision making, and current topics related to health care ethics, end-of-life care, palliative care and pain management.
News & Events
NEW FORM: Appointing a Health Care Agent
For those people interested in taking a First Step in advance care planning, this form allows you to appoint a health care agent and provide some general guidance about your health care goals.
Update on Medicare Payment for Advance Care Planning
On Friday, October 31, 2014 the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a final rule for physician reimbursement under Medicare in 2015. However, CMS is choosing not to pay for new advance care planning codes in this year’s Medicare Physician Fee Schedule. But CMS is accepting public comment on this decision now through December 30, 2014.
Submit your comments and tell them why you support reimbursement for ACP services.
Going Your Way
According to a new End-of-Life Guide from consumer reports, a good death can be hard to achieve without advance planning.Read More at Consumer Reports
Physician Assisted Dying: Vermont Passes Patient Choice at the End of Life Bill (Act 39)
On Monday, May 20, 2013 Vermont became one of only four states in the country that permit physicians to prescribe a lethal dose of medication to patients who have a terminal illness.Learn More About Physician Assisted Dying
Articles & News
- December 1, 2014: The New York Times -- Hoping for a Good Death
- October 6, 2014: Dr. Atul Gawande talks on advance care planning and his new book, Being Mortal, on Comedy Central
- September 17, 2014: The New York Times -- Panel Urges Overhauling Health Care at End of Life, by Pam Belluck
- September 17, 2014: Institute of Medicine -- Committee on Approaching Death: Addressing Key End of Life Issues Report Release
- September 10, 2014: WNYC News -- Death Beds: Living Wills Slowly Take Root, by Fred Mogul
- September 9, 2014: WNYC News -- Death Beds: Too Little, Too Late for Many New Yorkers Seeking Hospice, by Fred Mogul
- September 8, 2014: WNYC News -- Death Beds: Terminally Ill, But Constantly Hospitalized, by Fred Mogul
- September 6, 2014: The New York Times -- When It’s the Doctor Who Can’t Let Go, by Theresa Brown
- September 4, 2014: The New York Times -- Encouraging End-of-Life Talks, by the Editorial Board
- August 30, 2014: The New York Times -- Coverage for End-of-Life Talks Gaining Ground, by Pam Belluck