The Vermont Ethics Network website contains information and resources on advance directives, health care decision making, and current topics related to health care ethics, end-of-life care, palliative care and pain management.
News & Events
Registration Now Open
VEN Spring Conference 2015
On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 the Vermont Ethics Network, in partnership with the Palliative Care and Pain Management Task Force, hosts the 6th Annual Spring Conference, One Size Does Not Fit All: Treatment Decisions for Serious or Advanced Illness. Mark your calendars and register today.
Online Registration &
Conference Details Printable Brochure &
CALL TO ACTION
National Health Care Decisions Day
April 16, 2015
In times of critical illness or injury when individuals have lost their decision making capacity, there is nothing more valuable than having an advance directive to guide your family and healthcare team.
Take this opportunity to begin the conversation and plan for your future health care needs. Start Now!
Take your first step in the advance care planning process and appoint a health care agent.
FRONTLINE Teams with Atul Gawande to Explore Being Mortal
On February 10, 2015 Dr. Gawande brought his personal journey—and the stories of his patients and their families—to life, challenging us all to reexamine how we think about death and dying.
Watch the PBS Documentary
Going Your Way
According to a new End-of-Life Guide from consumer reports, a good death can be hard to achieve without advance planning.Read More at Consumer Reports
Articles & News
- April 8, 2015: The New York Times -- Overruling My Father, by Barron H. Lerner
- March 28, 2015: The New York Times -- Teenagers Face Early Death, on Their Terms, by Jan Hoffman
- March 27, 2015: The New York Times -- Learning to Say No to Dialysis, by Paula Span
- February 25, 2015: The Onion -- If I End Up On Life Support, My Family Knows The Type Of Long, Protracted Legal Battle I Would Want, by Donald Reubens
- January 31, 2015: The New York Times -- Dying Shouldn’t Be So Brutal, by Ira Byock
- January 19, 2015: The New York Times -- Complexities of Choosing an End Game for Dementia, by Paula Span
- December 1, 2014: The New York Times -- Hoping for a Good Death
- October 6, 2014: Dr. Atul Gawande talks on advance care planning and his new book, Being Mortal, on Comedy Central
- September 17, 2014: The New York Times -- Panel Urges Overhauling Health Care at End of Life, by Pam Belluck
- September 17, 2014: Institute of Medicine -- Committee on Approaching Death: Addressing Key End of Life Issues Report Release